In order for you to plan for water harvesting,you need to know lowest point in your land and slope direction of your land to layout water channel.
- One way is to engage civil engineer to do contour survey but most of the time you won’t get techie people in village.
- Another way is to walk up to your field right at the moment of intense rainfall to see where water is heading to?
- Yet another way is to check water logging spots after rainfall but it won’t tell you how to plan feeding channels
Never worry. You can be a civil engineer and plan yourself from anywhere in the world (With Google pro free trial membership for 7 days)
- Download Goog Earth Professional
- On your left enable “Terrain” option
- Search your farm location and save it
- On top middle menu,choose “Clock” to choose best satellite acquisition picture(I had cloud covered picture for mine so I chose dec 2013 picture)
- On top middle menu,choose “Ruler” and go to “Path” tab,enable “show elevation profile”
- Start clicking on the map to mark your land boundary
- Bottom chart shows elevation profile of each line and slope %
- You can also go to “Polygon” tab to measure your land area in acre/hectare size accurately.